A five-day festival of real jazz begins Wednesday, Oct. 11, and will continue through Sunday, Oct. 15. The events will be held at venues in Rehoboth Beach and Lewes.
For tickets and information go to truebluejazz.org.
True Blue Jazz schedule
• Wednesday, Oct. 11 - Youth Jazz Appreciation Night, 6 to 9 p.m. Returning to Bethany Blues on Route 1 near Lewes is an evening dedicated to providing jazz students of all grade levels from across the country an opportunity to perform on a club stage before a live audience. Admission is free.
• Thursday, Oct. 12 to Saturday, Oct. 14 - True Blue Jazz Afternoon Jazz Jam, 5 to 8 p.m. each night. Get tuned up on jazz with friends at the newly renovated Avenue Inn at 33 Wilmington Ave. in Rehoboth Beach. Admission is free.
• Thursday, Oct. 12 - The Eddie Sherman Show featuring Peggy Raley, 7:30 and 9:30 p.m. True Blue Jazz returns to downtown Rehoboth Beach at the festival showroom at Clear Space Theatre, 20 Baltimore Ave. Eddie Sherman and Peggy Raley bring the standards to life in this fun-filled performance. Stay tuned for a special guest artist who will join them. Admission is $25.
• Friday, Oct. 13 - The Paul Carr Quartet featuring vocalist Jamie Davis, 7:30 and 9:30 p.m. at Clear Space Theatre, 20 Baltimore Ave. Headliner event to feature Paul Carr, known for his hard-charging and soulful post-bop saxophone style. He leads a group of well-traveled jazz musicians, including West Coast vocalist Jamie Davis. Admission is $50. Carr and his quartet will also conduct a True Blue Jazz Workshop/Clinic for Cape High School jazz students Friday afternoon prior to the Rehoboth Beach shows.
• Saturday, Oct. 14 - True Blue Jazz's free concert at Rehoboth Beach Bandstand, noon to 3 p.m. The Cape Henlopen High School Jazz Band will lead things off at this afternoon concert event, which will also feature The Eddie Sherman Show and Peggy Raley for its straight-ahead jazz lineup. Admission is free.
• Saturday, Oct. 14 - Christian McBride's New Jawn, 7:30 and 9:30 p.m., Clear Space Theatre, 20 Baltimore Ave. True Blue's second headliner event will feature five-time Grammy-winning jazz bassist Christian McBride with trumpeter Josh Evans, saxophonist Marcus Strickland and drummer Nasheet Waits. McBride is one of the most-requested, most-recorded and most-respected figures in the music world today. Admission is $60.
• Sunday, Oct. 15 - True Blue Jazz Brunch Bash with The Fred Hughes Trio featuring vocalist Joanna Pascale, 11 a.m., Salero Restaurant atop the Henlopen Hotel, Rehoboth Beach. Located on the eighth floor of the hotel, this event is back to celebrate True Blue's fifth season. A perennial favorite, the Fred Hughes Trio will showcase Pascale, a singer of sophisticated taste, profound expression and raw emotion. The Philadelphia songstress has tremendous depth as a musician, performer and music educator. She delivers modern interpretations of timeless standards with an intimate attention to lyrics. Admission is $50, and includes brunch and beverage. Cash bar available.